Small Condominium Ideas
Big Ideas for Living in Small Condominium Space
Typical square meter for beach condominiums in Thailand are less than spacious: 45 to 60 square meters for a studio or one bedroom; 70 to 100 square meters for two bedroom units. By wisely using available space for everything you need, your beach condo unit can be beautiful, functional, and practical. With simple know-how, you can live large and relax year-round in your small slice of beach paradise without loss of comfort and conveniences, find things when you need them, enjoy your day-to-day activities on the beach, and feel in control of your life. Here are small space tips to maximize your living space.
- Give every item in your condominium its regular home. Everything in your condo should have value to occupy your premium real estate, either because it is functional or because you love it. To keep your condo from looking like a warehouse, before you bring another item home, ask if it has a purpose or fill a need. If the new item is a replacement for the old one you like less, prepare to get rid of the old item when you get home.
- Create a departure-zone. Install a shelf or put a console table near the front entrance. It transforms a hallway into a foyer without eating up space and it is perfect place to stash keys and use it as your to-go area, where you can put things that you will be taking with you the next time you leave the house.
- Avoid open shelves storage but if you must, keep open shelves below eye level to reduce visual chaos. Books and things you store remain easy to find and under control.
- Use oversized mirrors and place a light source such as scone in front of a mirror. Spaciousness is an illusion and mirrors and lights are great tools of the illusion trade. Combination of mirror and light optimize the small space and add drama to a room. Mirror expands space and reflects light around the room. Light source moves wall out to its rightful place. Be sure to check what the mirrors reflect.
- Choose tall cabinets or install floor-to-ceiling built-in-cabinets to maximize the storage capacity of your small condo and store rarely used items on top shelf. Keep cabinet surface smooth in the same shade as the adjacent walls and use streamlined hardware. Smooth front, built-in cabinets blend well along walls.
- Create an ‘office’ where you can read, write, and store (file) papers and legal documents. Every home needs a file cabinet to hold paperwork and bills. Buy a strong office-quality with two-drawers. Make sure the drawers open fully and have quiet opening and closing mechanism. Invest in a fireproof safe and store important personal legal documents such as birth certificate and passport. Your work space should be well-lighted to improve mood and productivity. If you spend at least 3-4 hours a day at your desk, invest in the best office chair you can buy.
- Consider furniture that can do double duties: beds with storage built-in underneath; large ottoman to prop up feet, hold tray, and as extra seating; nightstand should have a drawer and a shelf, or an enclosed storage space beneath it. Functional furniture can be purchased in any style from antique to ultra modern.
The secret of living comfortably and conveniently in a small condominium is never to let material things take over. Your beach condo is more than just a place to keep stuff; be ruthless with clutter, purge constantly, and be extremely selective when making new purchase. Now check the weather because you are headed for the beach.